Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Where are you coldframe?

This picture goes out to Gardinista (blog worth a visit - north of north gardening), who had the audacity to claim that Ottawa did not have serious winters!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The path we dug out for the post man.

Here is the path to the coldframes... By the way, the snow is at about 3 ft!!!! - insert appropriate unhappy sound as you imagine yourself over knee deep in snow as you go to empty your compost.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
To all you people that wanted a white christmas, enough already!

Note that you have to dig down to get to the snowframe... I mean coldframe.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I hate to see how high the snow cliffs will climb by the end of the season around this 2ft. coldframe.

I punctured the plastic peaked polytunnel thingy, normally known as the spaceship, around here. Reason to make sure that you didn't bring the metal tipped snow shovel with you! Taping was not an option as it is too cold for the glue to stick so I stuffed plastic bags in the rips which seems to have solved the problem for now.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
You might be able to make out the white plastic bags from the snow.

But I know you are wondering is there really anything green and unfrozen in there?

Ummm... sort of?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Packed with 2inches of leaves (not enough)

The Kholrabi leaves weren't entirely frozen. In fact, they felt quite healthy and leathery yesterday so today I harvested it for you - A big old hunk of ice.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Would you like some Kholrabi cubes with that drink?

Leaves in pretty good condition, swollen stem, frozen. It did not taste too bad though. When I de-thawed it in hot water, it had the texture of frozen carrots. I would throw it in a soup or stew.

The frost seemed to come from the ground which is a problem I have been having with my season extension project and is why I have a new project: the ground insulated polytunnel.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, That's a lot of snow.
No wonder they're called cold frames.
I know that probably doesn't seem funny to you right now.
Enjoy.
Chigiy at Gardener’s Anonymous said:

kate said...

Gardenista said that? I'll stop by and tell her that Ottawa winters were much worse than they are here. They might be shorter, but they were often more brutal (at least while I lived there, 1985-2001). Regina might not be as bad as La Ronge - but we haven't had the dumps of snow that Ottawa used to receive.

All that shovelling ...that's when kids come in handy! Happy holidays.

Gardenista said...

Hey, I'm glad to see that you finally got the real Canadian winter white stuff over there! Maybe your delivery was delayed, but it looks like a healthy amount. I always did imagine Ottawa having significant winters, I just was suprised to see you were snowless not that long ago!

Whyite said...

Wow thats a lot of snow. Most folks around here complain when we get over 2 or 3 inches.

Gus&Otto said...

I cannot believe the snow this winter. We finally caved in and bought a second shovel (well, my mother camp for a visit, got snowed in and was incredulous that we didn't have two shovels so came back from the store with one). I, too, had to dig a path to the composter. Only, the snow is nearly covering the composter and the composter is nearly full. I'm kinda okay with that because I think it will mean that I'll get to try vermicomposting this January!

Anonymous said...

Tip: snowshoes get you to the deepest darkest depths of your back garden. They also bring out the child in me. I love stomping the snow down after each fresh snowfall. Once it's hardened, you can usually walk on top of the snowshoe trail... at least until snowmelt. Ha-hah.