Trudi describes her method of winter sowing like this:
With the Winter Sowing germination method you will be able to start hardy seedlings for pennies. Winter Sowing is done outdoors during the season of winter using mini-greenhouses made from recyclables; there are no heating devices, no energy-wasting lights or expensive seed starting devices. WinterSown.Org is a member of the National Agricuture Library AgNIC Alliance.
Tired, of leggy seedlings:
I think that I will give it a try.
- brassicas: kohlrabi, cabbage, pak choy, chinese cabbage (michili), rabe, broccoli, collards
- florence fennel
- leaf crops: spinach, lettuce, chicory, endive, 7 top turnips, mache
- alliums: leeks, onions
- herbs: dill, coriander
- roots: turnips, beets, carrots
- flowers: tall snapdragon (wildflower), alyssum
- Ottawa Hortiphilia tomatoes: a variety that self-seeded - appeared - in my garden last year with interesting properties including cold tolerance.
*This book is available in the Ottawa Public Library