Thursday, April 26, 2007

Curb side gardening

And by that I mean:

Score!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Check out my wine barrels. Yes, they were curb side.

But that is not the only way I get gardening stuff for free. I also belong plantcycle, a great group of generous gardeners which recycle anything gardening related, including advice (there is always an endless supply of that).

My recent pick up was three bags of this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This group operates on yahoo, but any similar service would do if you want to start one in your neighbourhood. We also hold regular plant events - the next one is at my humble garden - where we talk shop and swap, swap, swap. Actually, I mostly just give away. No trading is necessary.

It's a great way to get together with other enthusiasts (as well as point your thumb way down at 'the system'.)

---
A series of little posts to catch up. My other half has been monopolizing the computer because of work or some other similar excuse!

2 comments:

Gardenista said...

I too have those wine barrels as containers and I love them. I found out in a huge deluge 2 years ago that it is good to drill some extra holes in them though. My plants drowned and never did recover that summer. Also, putting chunks of styrofoam in the bottom keeps them lighter and saves on potting soil!

Ottawa Gardener said...

thanks for the advice. It will come in handy as we have regular deluges here.