Thursday, April 26, 2007

Winter sown success

I'll admit it now, I was starting to have my doubts.

My little winter sown seeds in pop bottles were being alternatively frozen and thawed, frozen and thawed in such a way that I thought that the seeds would shatter before they have a chance to sprout.

At least two sets of seeds saw things differently:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Linen flax, collected from a garden plant.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Another angle.


The rose hibiscus has also spouted. What I really hope makes it is the butter and eggs wild snap dragon. I will definitely try this technique next year, though I think I will put the pop bottle homes in my spaceship hoophouse to further speed germination.

---

A series of little posts to catch up. My other half has been monopolizing the computer because of work or some other similar excuse!

5 comments:

Sally said...

Thank you SO MUCH for that link to winter sowing. I've never heard of such a thing! I have some reading to do, but I'm certainly interested.

Ottawa Gardener said...

I really liked the idea when I first discovered it too!

kate said...

I love the look of your pop bottle garden. You inspire me!!

Michelle said...

WOW, this deserves further consideration! What a great idea! Thanks!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that next year!